Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Looking for the key to the real world

I didn't realise until a few months ago just how much I relay on the Internet for social interaction.  At that time I had a severe, life threatening reaction to a new pain medication.  I was filled with rage, thought of suicide, valiance.  There were also changed to a forum, that to me was home, that did away with the one thing I desperately needed to keep my business on line.  Every day is a struggle, and this one thing was a lifeline, a goal to reach for.  Something to share with others reaching for the same goal. 

I tried to explain what this meant to me, but no one understood.  I got frustrated, then I got angry, then I was out of control.  I started crying and couldn't stop.  I wanted to yell and scream, and I wanted to just stop living and never start again.  I barely had it together enough to realize that something serious was going on and to send out a cry for help.

By then it was too late.  I got a message that I was on moderation, my PM was shut down, and I could be baned without notice.  I almost died that night.  I had cried for help and instead was pushed away and forcefully segregated from the only friends I have.  They were right there on the screen, but I couldn't reach out to them, and they couldn't reach out to me.  I don't know if this was a group decision, or the actions of one person, all I know is I came to close to dieing as a result.

My parents realized what was going on, stopped the medication, and set up a 24 hour suicide watch.  They, my sister, and both cats were there every second of the week end until I could get in to see my DR.  They were there for most of the next week keeping watch, and keeping me safe.  I was truly blessed.

I tried to participate in the forum, but my posts didn't show up for six to twelve hours after I made them.  You can't participate in a rapidly developing, off the top of your head, conversation that way!  Then to be remained with each and ever post that there was a wall between me and the others, that to all intent and purposes I had become a ghost, unseen and, I truly fell, unwanted.  Well it just wasn't going to work out, the medicine induced depression thrived on the situation.  My Dr said, quite forcefully, I was to leave the forum.   My parents and sister agreed, and so I left and haven't been back.

To my forum friends who are reading this.  I miss you.  I miss you a lot!  Leaving was a hard choice, but under the circumstances leaving was the only choice and it was a life saving one.

As I slowly recover from this, and look around me, I realizes that I've lost touch with the real world.  I don't have any real life friend.  Acquaintances yes, but not anyone who I feel like calling up, just to pass the time of day, and no one who would call me up for the same.  I'm not even sure I want friends anymore.  Not the close kind.  Not the kind that can break your heart.  And that scares me.  I've always been a loner, always felt most comfortable on my own, but everyone needs someone to talk to, or to set and enjoy the quiet with from time to time.  I don't have that, beyond my family, not in the real world.  I don't even know if it is to be found, here in the little bit of no where that I call home.

1 comment:

  1. Lauria, I live in nowheresville too, and struggle with my own chronic illness. I live with my husband who is terminally ill with non-hodgkin's lymphoma. Isolation is very real to me, and I find myself relying more on the internet for social interaction. I've been thinking about this lately, and realize that I've withdrawn from my friends as much as they have withdrawn from them. My few real world friends know our situation and it is nearly always the topic of an often uncomfortable conversation. With internet friends there is a certain anonymity. I never need to mention our struggles and can pretend for a while that things are fine.

    I know your situation may not be like mine at all, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone in your aloneness, it that makes sense.
    Peace
    Hippie Sister

    ReplyDelete